Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Love is in the Air

I had quite the Valentine's Day baking weekend, making Joe lots of surprise goodies, baking cookies with Kylie, and testing out the conversation heart cupcakes shown in my calendar I mentioned last post!



I melted milk and white chocolate and dipped Oreos and pretzel rods - decorated with frosting, sprinkles, and conversation hearts.







I attempted to make those Cake Pops that everyone has been talking about, but from brownies instead.

They taste good, but they turned into bon-bons because the lollipop sticks wouldn't stay put, and the balls barely stayed together anyway.

With some online research, I read that you are supposed to mix frosting with the cake pieces in order for the balls to hold their shape and the stick. Oh.
Next time!!

But, here they are:



Then, the Pièce de résistance! The conversation heart cupcakes!


I made regular cupcakes and frosted them - Funfetti, of course...because...they're more..FUN!

Cut hearts out of thawed Sara Lee frozen pound cake.


And actually regular store bought frosting in a can melts in the microwave very nicely - I thought it might get weird.

So I melted the frosting and dyed it different colors.

Then, dipped each pound cake heart into the frosting and let harden.

Decorated with a bit of red food coloring, and voila!

A little messy...excuse the fingerprints!...but pretty cute!

Then, made some heart-shaped sugar cookies to decorate with the munchkin! We decided the misshapen ones looked like a hippo, and Minnie & Mickey Mouse, and decorated accordingly :)


And the adorable Valentine Kylie made me <3


Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

AddThis